Sunday, August 06, 2006

Weekend warriors

Michael reminded me that I haven't written about our adventuring yet. This weekend we went biking on Saturday. I had to work from 10-4 so we got a pretty late start which was probably best anyway because of the heat. We changed clothes, collected our new biking gear (gloves for Michael! a pink water bottle for me!) and installed the bike rack. The instructions, as usual, were completely useless. The more stuff I try to assemble, the more I understand why men are the way they are. Well, we loaded up the bikes and headed out to Brown County. It's such a pretty place. There are some parts where every view around every bend looks the same but I'm not bored at all because they're equally breathtaking.

The reviews for the mountain bike trails made the first part seem like it should be fairly easy. Well, maybe they're easy for a seasoned biker but for a girl like me ... not so much. I fell within the first few minutes, acquiring an awful looking bruise on my right hip. I decided that the point of biking is to be having fun, and if I'm not having fun I should stop. The paths were littered with rocks and I was scared the whole time. So Vermie (my brand new red Columbia bicycle that Michael got me for my birthday!) and I waited at a playground. While I was there, I played on the swings and listened to a shaggy haired man from Martinsville play "Knocking on Heaven's Door" at his family reunion. Michael kept going and kicked his own ass, which is good and bad. I'm glad he had fun, but I worry that he's going to get hurt. I'm glad he's conceded to take his phone with him in case of an emergency. On the road from the playground back to the car, we whizzed down this hill. Vermie got up to 30 mph! Insanely awesome.

Today we decided to do some geocaching. We printed out the info for three but we only got a chance to find two before it started getting dark, too dark for me to see. We had a nice hike and saw some bones and some holes (sinkholes? ROTC?). This was the first cache where we got to deposit some of our signature items and the first where we picked up a travel bug. Michael was excited! We also had a fun time finding a clever one hid at a newspaper stand. All of this adventuring has been awesome, but we're definitely exhausting ourselves. Michael and I have both discovered how hard it is to manage work, a relationship, adventuring, and all the other hobbies we both enjoy. Hopefully, we can find ways to integrate photography, geocaching, biking, and hiking and still have time to sleep! Speaking of which, I'll be headed to bed soon ... I've definitely been kicking my ass lately!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home